
Of course, freedom is all a matter of perspective. To be honest, the idea of being accountable to nobody and being able to do anything I want is a little scary to me. When people are free to indulge in any act, they are actually trapping themselves. Take for example, a world with no laws would be a world rife with fear. Hence when people gain the freedom to engage in henious acts, they fall prey to losing the freedom of security. In a society, this cannot be tolerated. If everyont is able to understand their position and limits, the entire society would be able to function properly. "If people have a proper concern for one another", they would rather trade in a litte bit of freedom to gain a cohesieve society in which they can all enjoy together. Hence this is why Cobley states that "To ask for freedom from society is to ask for freedom from oneself." People are linked to the society and there is no way of seeking freedom from one without taking it from the other.
This is probably the paragraph that allowed me to pass because the rest were crap. Oh, don't for a moment think that I'm all for giving up freedom and embracing conformity, cause I'm not. I absolutely detest the fact that I'm unable to plunge headlong into my obsessions with reckless abandon. Sigh... But as it is, I can't. "Today is only today today. Today is only yesterday tomorrow." If I continue the way I am, tomorrow will be another day with the same problems. The thought isn't particularly enticing. I suppose I have to "trade in a little bit of freedom" to gain more afterwards. Which is against my nature, but was what I argued so passionately for. The irony is not lost on me.